Monday, August 25, 2008

The Long Night and the Big Day!

Sam woke up at 4:00 this morning! Not sure if he was excited or what, but either way, he was awake. Shortly thereafter, he woke up his brother. I am thinking that this was God's way of helping me out. It is hard to cry about your child starting school when you are mad enough to spit nails!

We made them stay in bed until 6:00, but we still didn't find much rest for all of the whining and chatter. So at 6:15, there were waffles in the oven and we were in full-scale "first day of school" mode. Actually, after I abandoned the notion of sleeping, the morning went really well. I had decided what he was going to wear, but I quickly learned he had other plans. I just never saw my kids starting school in "tye-dye," but I am saving my energy for tatoos!

We got to school on-time and Sam made quick work of settling into his classroom. Within moments, he was at the table knee-deep in pattern blocks and I was left standing there, knowing it was time, but not quite ready to go. After asking the teacher one more time if she needed anything (my last ditch effort to remain a part of my son's morning), I headed out the door. There were tears in my eyes by the time I got to the lobby...at which point, the Assistant Principal felt the need to hug me. She assured me that first days are always the hardest.


So here he is when he started at PPCD in November of last year...
just for comparison.
And here he is this morning....My big guy on his big day!

in front of the Cowan Crayon



his gigantic backpack....


He had a great day! God is good!

3 comments:

Intentional Memories said...

I think the tie-dye was totally appropriate for all these Austin Treehuggers.  I kind of looks like he's decided since he can't beat 'em ... ... join 'em.  ;)

Anonymous said...

hi guys! I am crying reading this and can't imagine Jack heading off for the big day next fall!!So proud of Sam, and you all, too! lots of love, page

The Miller Family said...

Thanks! It was hard, but he is SO happy...and as far as the tie-dye goes, I am thinking I will have to buy some granola : )

But then again, one of the sweetest people I know happens to be a tree-hugger--So here's tie-dye for you, my friend!